This is the Necedah Bluffs Lookout Tower. The 64′ high tower was erected in 1928. During the 1920’s and ’30’s there was a strong initiative to protect Wisconsin’s forests and logging interests from fire. There is record of 180 tower sites, primarily in the northern half of the state.
There were approximately 70 observation towers still standing in Wisconsin. The Wisconsin DNR has decommissioned all tower activities as of last year.